November 8, 2012

Big Girl Bed

So back in August our little girl moved up into a BIG girl bed....sort of.  She moved into a toddler bed but to her it was a big girl bed.  For at least a month prior to this she was so ready to be out of the crib.  At every nap and bedtime she would crawl into Grace's bed and declare it was hers and that Grace could sleep in the crib.  As you can imagine, this did not go over well with Grace.  Mark and I were wanting to wait until we moved to get her a new bed but she wanted it now.  With this issue I was also wanting to get her potty trained (still not done) before the baby arrived but not while she was still in her crib.  We found a solution to all problems with the help of our friends the Auburgs!! :)  The bed above is their toddler bed that Presley was no longer using so they let us borrow it until we moved!

So one morning Mark and Carl brought it over to the house.  I was going to wait until night time to try and transition Eva over to it but at rest time she climbed the steps very happy and crawled right into the bed.  How could I resist her when she was so willing to go into it.  That was the moment my "baby" became a big girl to me, at least in this area of her life.  I was expecting the worse for naptime with her getting out of bed several times but she proved me wrong.  Not once did I have to go tell her to get back in bed!!
In the picture above she is protecting her bed from Daddy!  After rest time was over Mark made a comment about he might as well go take down the bed so we can get the girls room in order.  Eva heard him say this and started crying and yelling no.  I thought well here we go this is what I was expecting so I tried to explain to her that she couldn't have 2 beds and Daddy needed to take it down.  After several minutes of her crying I finally let her go and she went straight into her room and crawled up into this bed still crying no over and over!  You see she thought Daddy was going to take down her Big girl bed not the crib!!  Once she realized he was taking the crib down she stopped crying, got out of bed and went over to help Daddy!! She loved that bed and still does love her new Big girl bed!!

The transition with Eva was so much easier than Grace.  She very rarely got out of her bed and even now at times she will sit up in her bed until I go get her or until she hears me say she can come out.  Every once in awhile she does come out on her own and always looks worried until I smile and say good morning to her or good afternoon and then the biggest smile crosses her face!

No comments: