February 10, 2012

Stitches....Wait, what stitches!?!?

Yes that is right stitches and believe it or not Grace was not the first child to get them!  After having Grace I always knew we would end up in urgent care or the ER for something like this or even a broken arm or leg or something.  Grace has always been a daredevil and well it seems Eva is following in her footsteps!  Unfortunately for Eva, she takes after her Mommy and is a huge klutz!!  The combination of the two is just not a good mix at all!

I can clearly recall the day this happened more so than I ever could the first time they walked or rolled over. Don't get me wrong I can remember those clearly but with this it is more vivid.  For instance I can tell you that it happened on October 15th (yes over 3 months ago, almost 4) and I can tell you that it was right at 5:00 that evening.  I can also tell you that morning was the day we went to the Houston Zoo Boo, we went out for pizza and was just having all around great day.  After the girls nap we decided to go out into the garage to organize and put somethings up in the attic.  As you can imagine Eva was into everything!  I had just told Mark we were going to go in and start dinner after I boxed up the "summer" toys.  I had just finished closing up the box when it happened.

We had the back door open so the girls could go in and out to play in the back yard.  Right next to that door we had a stack of paver stones, they have been there since Grace was a baby.  Eva decided to take a closer look.  Mark and I heard it at the same time, we heard her pick up one that was broken.  Our reaction was to yell "Eva, no no!"  Well there she was standing with the paver stone in her mouth and once she heard no she decided to listen and put it down.  Eva's bad habit was to throw objects straight down.  Which she did and threw it right down on to her foot!!  Just like that we were out the door and in the car.
By the time we got there it had stopped bleeding sort of.  Mark sat in the back and put pressure on her foot and as long as you didn't touch it it wasn't bleeding.  She had stopped crying maybe 5 minutes into the car trip.
A picture before the doctor came in to look at it.  We were sort of hoping for butterflies but there was a small area where it was just too deep of a cut and just like that my baby needed stitches!
Getting ready and now she is not happy!  This is how she looked through the whole process however I'm pretty sure most of it was because she didn't like being held down and didn't like that she could not move her foot.  My reasoning is because they gave her stuff for the pain and gave her something to put her foot to sleep.
All she needed was 2 stitches but it took forever!  Once we were home she was back to her normal self, running around the house.  At one point that night she threw another toy straight down and it hit her foot again and we had some more tears but since that night she has never thrown another thing straight down, always out in front or off to the side!
I thought for sure the next day she might not want to walk or favor that foot slightly but nope.  If you were to come into our house you would have never known she had them unless we told you.  She is a very strong girl!!

I need to just mention one thing about Grace.  She was with us through all of this.  Our neighbors were home and we could have left her with them but neither Mark or I thought twice about it.  When it was time to go we just loaded her up in the car and off we went.  She was also in the room with us when Eva was getting the stitches.  She was amazing!  She just sat in the chair and colored Eva pictures and ate her gold fish!!  I'm sure she could understand in her own way that Eva was hurt pretty bad and that she needed to do exactly as Mommy and Daddy told her too!  I just thought she did wonderful through all of it.  She was very concerned for Eva but knew enough to stay in her chair and out of the doctors way! :)

As for the paver stones....they are now in the attic!! :)

No comments: