May 14, 2010

Strawberry Fields, Forever

No I'm not posting about the John Lennon song or about Strawberry Fields in Central Park though I have been and it was extremely nice and it would be wonderful if that is what this post was about. However, it is actually about strawberry fields. There is a local farm that grows strawberries and every spring you can go pick your own strawberries. While Elizabeth was here, one morning we did just that. We have never been before but I had heard wonderful things about the place. It was great. Not only do they have strawberries but inside their store they have all sorts of fresh veggies and fruit, nuts, jams, sauces, rice, candies, and just all sorts of goodies. Plus it is all priced very reasonable. I wish we lived just 5 minutes from there because I would go here every week to get our produce and probably should go there anyways but the last couple weekends have been pretty busy.






Grace actually did a really good job picking the strawberries. She only picked the red ones and very few were over ripe. Such a smart little girl.

After collecting all of our strawberries we came home and made strawberry jam that afternoon. It was the first time we have actually made it on our own. Last year when Mark's mom came down she made some for us and I watched. I must say I think it turned out pretty good but I guess the true test would be to have Joyce, Mark's mom, taste it and tell us how we really did. :)

Grace "helping" make jam!
She was the taste tester!! :)





No comments: