November 15, 2013

Fire Safety

This summer we went with the MOMs club to the fire station to learn about fire safety.  The girls were very excited to go which I thought was great.  But to their disappointment going to the fire station did not mean what they thought it was going to be.  When we first arrived they were looking everywhere.  When I finally questioned them about it they asked me when Mr. Steve was going to come. :(  It was very sweet that when they think of firemen they think of Mr. Steve yet it was very sad for me cause I knew I was going to have to disappoint them and tell them he would not be there that day.  Thankfully they held their heads high and did not melt down, which I was afraid of.  After they got over the fact that Mr. Steve would not be making an appearance they seemed to have a good time.

I love this part of fire safety! Both the fire station here and in Texas did this.  A fireman will put on all of his equipment as the children watch and they will explain what each item is for.
Then when he is finished and completely dressed they have the kids go up and give him a high-five (or hug if you are my kids).  This way the children know what a real fireman will look like should their house ever catch fire.  In this way the kids will know what to look for and more importantly so they do not get scared when they see this and run away but instead run to them or go to them for help.  Such a smart idea!!  I never really thought much about that but even though the kids see them get dressed several of them still find him "scary" looking.  I'm very thankful that the girls do not and maybe it helps them cause they know that this man is safe just like Mr. Steve since Eva declared him to look exactly like Mr. Steve once he was dressed! :)
After that they kids were all allowed to go through the fire truck and medic truck!

And a group shot of all the kids there.....

Just to clarify for those who are wondering, Mr. Steve was our wonderful neighbor down in Texas and as you probably guessed he is a fireman!!  The girls love and miss Mr. Steve so much!  Every firetruck we see Eva asks me if he is on it.  Grace use to ask but I think she has finally got it figured out.  Although after this day Grace told me when she grows up she wants to be a fireman, or firewoman, just like Mr. Steve and I was to not worry cause she would still come home to stay and see me! :)

No comments: